Friday, October 21, 2011

Babies: A pain in the back

Mamas, pregnancy doesn’t do our mid-sections any favors. Not only do our abdominal muscles stretch beyond our wildest dreams, but our lower backs become compressed from leaning back to compensate for all the added weight up front. For mamas who had or are planning to have C-sections, the problem is compounded because it takes that much longer for your--well, severed-- abdominal muscles to heal. 




As someone who has been going to massage therapists and chiropractors for well over 15 years, I have to say that these remedies can certainly help relieve back pain, but they won’t solve it, especially for the post-partum mama. 


Rather, I have found that massage therapy and chiropractic are considered supplements to a regimen that includes, that’s right--EXERCISE! For those of you who know me, this doesn’t come as a big surprise. I’m pushing the stroller around the neighborhood and sneaking in downward dog or lunges while I cook dinner, but when it comes to strengthening your core after a baby, exercise isn’t just for the enthusiasts.


“OMG--I just had a baby and you want me to exercise? That’s the last thing on my to-do list.” Yes, ladies. Even though you probably live your day in 20-minute segments between diaper changes, feedings, nap times, and play time, exercise is critical to ending the back pain. Getting up and down from the floor, lifting the car seat, and carrying around a baby who hasn’t quite mastered head control can be agony if your back is twinging in pain. As a breast feedin’ mama, I don’t want to take pain medications, so I’m trying everything else first. 


I’ve found that Kathy Smith’s Tummy Trimmers video is a great way to get your core exercise in only 10 minutes. There are five different workouts on the DVD, so you can pick and choose which one(s) you want to do each day. My favorites are the stability ball workout and the core workout, which you can do without shoes (key if the baby is sleeping in your bedroom, where you left your sneakers). The standing core workout is also fun if you want to add a little cardio into your routine. 


Sara Ivanhoe’s 20-Minute Yoga Makeover: Flat Abs is also a great core workout that includes lots of yogic stretches to loosen up those tight back muscles. You’ll feel this one in your shoulders, too, thanks to the plank series. 


I recommend these two videos because they go beyond mere sit-ups, which serve their purpose but are not going to strengthen your entire core. Although these videos are not meant specifically for post-partum mamas, as long as you have clearance from your physician, they will do the trick.




With all of these back-pain remedies, it’s easy to forget the most basic one: good posture. Without good posture, all of your exercise efforts and money spent on massage and chiropractic won’t stick. Breast feedin’ mamas are probably at higher risk for poor posture because they have to hold their little ones still for 10, 20, or even 30 minutes during mealtimes, often using the cradle hold, which hunches the upper back. I find nothing is more refreshing than stretching out my chest muscles in a doorway (place one hand on each side of the door and lean forward). I also try my best to remember good posture throughout the day. Given that I couldn’t even fill an A cup before I got pregnant, I’m happy to pull my shoulders back and show off the new (albeit temporary) rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment