Tuesday, January 1, 2013

More practical projects for the crafty mama

I don't have a whole lot of free time for making large quilts anymore, so I've turned my attention to smaller, practical projects that the baby and I can enjoy. Here are a few projects that will keep baby warm during cold winter months.

I purchased the pattern for this adorable animal hat from Tie Die Diva on Craftsy.com. I love it because although the pattern is officially for the bunny, devil, cow, and bear hats, it's so easy to play around with the fabric and adjust the shape of the ears to make just about anything you want. I made two dog hats as gifts for Christmas by rounding out the ears on the bunny pattern, and I turned a plain old cat into a cheetah (gggrrrr). The pattern is really simple to follow and quick (which is really the important thing, right?). I took one night to cut out all the fabric for five gift hats, and the next night I spent sewing. We've been stopped more than once in the grocery store by old ladies wanting to gush over my little guy in this hat.


I picked up the pattern for this chullo hat at The Green Pepper, Inc. The double-layer fleece design and ear flaps keep baby toasty on those biting winter days. Whereas the cheetah hat is our go-to in the fall, this chullo hat is our every-day hat in the winter. And yes, that is a shape sorter.You didn't think I was going to use a real head, did you?

These double-layer fleece mittens have a wide base, making it easy to shove...I mean, fit...baby's hands in, and the wrap-around velcro fastener keeps them on (yay!!). We've spent about a half an hour outside each of the past three mornings playing in the snow, and my kiddo's hands were still warm when we got back inside. Warning: this pattern runs small. I made the 18-24 month size for my 18 month old, and I was doubtful they would fit a newborn. He is now wearing the 3T-4T size. But fret not--there is no reason you can't enlarge this pattern on your copier or printer to make larger sizes. I'm also thinking of adjusting the pattern to eliminate the thumb, since no baby or toddler I know actually uses this nifty mitten feature.



Although it's a little late for this year's Christmas stocking, if you get started now, you might be able to finish one for next year. I picked up this pattern at a yard sale eons ago (it's probably from the 80s and sat in someone's basement for a decade before they decided to put it in the yard sale), and believe it or not, it's from LLBean. Unfortunately, I can't share the pattern since the Interwebs were a distant glimmer when this pattern was made. Everyone in my family has one, except me. I have my fabric picked out, it's just a matter of making it...some day. 

I hope these patterns have inspired you to get crafty. Brace yourselves, mamas. I'm moving on to stuffed animals, next!


No comments:

Post a Comment