Tuesday, April 3, 2012

By hook or by Nook, get your hands on the right pregnancy book

The moment I found out I was pregnant, my first thought after “Holy shit, I’m going to have a baby--EEEK!” was “I need a book about pregnancy!” I wanted an authoritative yet not condescending companion to guide me through each stage of my pregnancy. The book should be able to answer the bulk of my questions so that I wasn’t calling my doctor every other day but not give me so much detail that I would lose sleep worrying about unlikely scenarios. My goal was to educate myself so that I didn’t worry about every little pinch and poke, and also so that I knew what to ask my physician during my appointments. As far as I could tell, there was no perfect book, so I ended up with four books, all of which supplemented each other. 



If you’re a book nerd like me and are looking for a good read while you put up your swollen feet, here are my thoughts on some good (and some mediocre) titles:




I’m Pregnant! A Week-by-Week Guide from Conception to Birth by Lesley Regan, MD
By far, this book was my favorite. It met my “authoritative but not condescending” requirement; had  colorful and informational diagrams, photos, and other graphics; and provided enough detail to sate my curiosity without scaring the bejesus out of me. Many pregnancy books are broken down by month, but this one is broken down by trimester so you got an overview of what was to come during the next three or so months. In addition to everything mom needs to know during pregnancy, the author addresses mom’s and dad’s emotional states, labor and delivery, life after the baby, and specific concerns and complications. The author is a physician, and thus the book is chalk full of medical facts, but it’s not as dry as all the Tums I had to chew throughout my pregnancy. Regan shares a few personal stories to humanize the facts and put them in perspective. She takes a realistic but calming approach-- “Here are some bad things that can happen, but the chances are low, so please don’t lose sleep over it. In all likelihood, your baby will be fine.” It’s what every expectant mother needs to hear (of course, she advises that you see your physician if you are concerned). If you are only going to buy one book, this is the one I recommend. 


Your Pregnancy Week by Week by Dr. Glade B. Curtis and Judith Schuler, MS
This book is like the weekly e-mails you’d get from signing up at BabyCenter.com or WhatToExpect.com. I think breaking down pregnancy by the week created a major hurdle for this author--some pertinent information that you should be aware of at, say, week 12, isn’t discussed until, say, week 18. Overall, the book provides good, solid information, but because of the structure based on weeks, it feels disorganized. I enjoyed the drawings of the embryo and fetus at different stages. Many books print real ultrasound scans, and let’s face it, sometimes even doctors have a hard time telling the head from the rump in that blurry black-and-white mess. The drawings made clear what your baby probably looks like. If you buy this book, I’d supplement the information in it with other sources, such as reliable Websites or another book. 


What To Expect When You’re Expecting by Arlene Eisenberg; Heidi E. Murkoff; and Sandee E. Hathaway, BSN
It’s the classic book that adorns the night stands of every pregnant woman in America. Rather than focusing on the biology of pregnancy, it emphasizes mom’s and baby’s behavior and how it can contribute to (or prevent) a healthy pregnancy. I’ve heard some people say that it is too alarmist, and I see their point. I remember laying in bed one Saturday afternoon reading the section about using microwaves, which came across like this: “Pregnant women shouldn’t stand in front of running microwaves. If you do, you’re probably okay. It’s your choice, but if you choose not to stand in front of a microwave, you’re a much better mother than the idiot who does.” Take the advice offered in this book with a grain (or sprinkle) of salt--just like everything else you read--and you’ll be fine. I have a slightly older version of this book, which doesn’t have all the tongue-in-cheek word plays that saturate the more recent versions and the Website. Early on, I had subscribed to the e-mails from WhatToExpect.com but found them so “punny” and annoying that I took my name off the list. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good sense of humor, and reading about pregnancy shouldn’t be dry, but If you can only take five puns per page, then brace yourself. All in all, it was a good supplement to I’m Pregnant!


The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine
I read about half of this book before I decided that I didn’t want cheeky advice about how to take care of myself during pregnancy from someone who is not a doctor or nurse. Iovine is a mother of four, so I’m sure she has valuable insight to share, but she is not a doctor, so my initial reaction is “Why should I listen to you?” My mother had four kids, and I don’t see her writing a book about it. The author tries desperately to make you laugh with each line, and it got to be too much to chew after a while. Although I disregarded most of what I read in this book, the author shared one piece of advice that I wish I had heeded: DO NOT to cut your hair during your third trimester. She said that just about every pregnant woman wants to shave her head the closer she comes to her due date, especially if she is pregnant in the summer, but for the love of God, run--do not walk--away from the hair dresser. Yes, friends, I was the hormonal, hot mama who, one July Friday, marched into the salon and said “Take it all off.” I ended up with a fate worse than swollen ankles: mom hair. On top of the pregnancy acne, it did little for my self-esteem. So there, I saved you from having to buy this book for that one piece of advice. 

You may not find a single resource that provides you with all of the information you need or want during your pregnancy, so I recommend getting information from a variety of sources, including lengthy discussions with your physician. Some books may focus on the biology and not cover emotional wellbeing, but perhaps you need that kind of support. Or maybe you want a book that covers more high-risk issues due to your medical history.  Educating yourself without driving yourself crazy with research will help you feel grounded during the exhilarating and hectic pregnancy months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment