Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Practical projects for the crafty mama

As a crafty mama, I've been having a blast making all sorts of fun stuff for my little tyke, some of which I share below. I'm also a practical mama--everything must be useful and durable (you won't see my baby wearing a delicate, lacy bonnet or clothes he can't get dirty), so each project here meets those qualifications. Let's start with my favorite:

I got the pattern for these baby slippers from New Conceptions. They are super easy to make and only require three seams. I've made a pair of fleece slippers (left) and a pair of flannel (right). The last seam, which goes around the sole, is tricky, as you have to line up multiple layers of fabric, but the end product is so worth it. The best part? Baby has a tough time pulling these suckers off (my son is a ninja when it comes to pulling off his socks). An alternative pattern, which I haven't tried yet but is next on my list, is for adorable kimono slippers.



New Conceptions also had patterns for a taggy ball and a taggy blanket. Unfortunately, Taggies Inc. asked New Conceptions to take down the patterns (really, because no one could ever have thought to sew fabric loops into the seams), so I can't provide you with the link. I can, however, provide you with a great tip: Stick a jingly cat toy inside the ball to engage baby's sense of sight, feel, AND sound (your everyday jingle bell will sound muted once stuffed inside the ball and may be a choking hazard if baby ever gets the ball open). I found that these toys were best introduced around five or six months.



My most recent project involved fabric paint!! I had totally forgotten about fabric paint after a brief but intense love affair with it during the early 1990s (for which I owe a heart-felt apology to denim). But applied using stencils and NOT in neon colors or glitter, fabric paint is pretty awesome. I got the pattern for these monster bookends from Simple Sewing for Baby by Lotta Jansdotter. The patterns in this book are practical with a funky twist--just the way I like 'em! I also made an on-the-go changing pad inspired by this book.




Once I had made the stencil for the monster faces, I thought "What else can I put these on?" Buy some plain white onesies, and voila! This would also work great in the fall with an orange T-shirt to make a baby Jack-o-lantern. Tip: stick a piece of cardboard inside the onesie and secure it with some tape before you start painting. If you don't, the paint will bleed onto the back of the onesie (I learned this the hard way 20 years ago). Also, don't saturate the sponge or the paint will bleed behind the stencil. Start light and darken as you go. Dab, dab, dab. It took less than ten minutes to make two of these.


Speaking of plain white onesies, I got the idea for this hipster project from an item in my friend's son's wardrobe. I saw a picture of him wearing it and thought "I can make that." All you need is some funky fabric, some Wonder Under, and a good zig-zag stitch. Just don't make the tie so long that the bottom of it ends up under baby's pant waist, or else you might as well stitch a pocket protector on the onesie, too.



For the more ambitious crafter, I love this attic windows quilt from Easy Baby Quilts by Ursula Reikes. The pattern is super simple, but you can dress up the quilt with busy fabrics or elegant stitching. I love that every time I make this, it's a completely different quilt depending on what's in the windows. I like using fabric that speaks to the parent's interests (I made one with fun guitar fabric for a musical dad, and this one with cats because...well, I have a thing for those furry little critters). Hang it on a wall, use it as a play mat, or snuggle baby up tight in the car seat or stroller.


More projects are always in the works, and they tend to take a lot longer now that my definition of "free time" has changed. But they are always fun, and I get a great sense of satisfaction seeing my son's fleece slippers go through the wash for the twentieth time. I make 'em, we use 'em, and the cost is next to nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment