Friday, June 7, 2013

More practical projects for the crafty mama: Nesting edition

Nesting. It's a real thing. Seriously. With baby #2 on the way, I've been unstoppable with sewing and crocheting for the last seven months because I want both of my children to have items that mommy made just for them. Maybe they won't care when they are teenagers, but it's important to me right now, so I don't fight the hormonal instinct.

I went a little crazy with hat and bootie sets, mainly because I was teaching myself how to crochet and needed lots of practice. I decided to pick up crochet, because as much as I love quilting, I can't take my sewing room with me on vacation or while waiting at the doctor's office. I wanted a hobby that provided practical results that I can fit in a tote bag. Voila.

Unfortunately, the pattern I used to make my first hats (the green and orange below) is no longer available online, but here is a free comparable newborn hat pattern, which I am excited to try next.

Another great project for beginner crocheters is the apple beanie hat. I made a 3-6 month size with matching fleece slippers for baby #2, and a matching hat for big brother (I predict a photo opp in the fall). The fleece slippers, (also pictured at left made from flannel) I have made in every color and size because they are just plain awesome. My son couldn't kick them off, they kept his feet warm, and they wear well. The orange crochet slippers were a fun and quick project (once I got the hang of it).



From the apple beanie pattern, I made the brown hat with ear flaps (below) with, of course, coordinating slippers made from flannel. The green hat next to it is a frog hat pattern that I have yet to attach the eyes to. I had a really difficult time getting this frog hat started, so I used the apple beanie hat  pattern (my personal favorite) to make the hat, and then referred to the frog hat pattern to make the eyes. And yes, another pair of slippers.

                                                                          And of course, I went a little nuts with the baby blankets. Now that my son wants to sleep with a blanket, he loves the cat quilt that I made for him while I was pregnant with him. It's a really nice feeling when your kid likes something you made for him (it doesn't happen often, so relish the moment). Thus, I felt that the second child also needed a cat quilt (logically). The pattern is from Quilts for Baby: Easy as A, B, C, my absolute favorite baby quilt book ever. Ursula Reikes has several other baby quilt books that I'm eager to acquire.
As you can see, I'm going a little retro with my color schemes for most of my projects. Bold greens, oranges, and browns have caught my eye recently. However, I chose a softer pallet for the flannel quilt that also came from Quilts for Baby. This was my first flannel quilt project, and it will be a warm and welcome addition to our growing blanket collection come the winter months.

I am currently working on a crochet baby blanket for the stroller and car seat. I'm a little worried about getting the edges straight, but only time and practice will tell, I suppose. I find it to be therapeutic to sit on the couch, even if it's just for 15 minutes, put my swollen feet up, and stitch a couple of rows.

And just a note that some hospitals accept donations of baby hats to send home with newborns. Check with your local hospital to see if they will accept some of your creations. Happy crafting everyone!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the Blankets you made! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz Can you delete the first comment I deleted?

    ReplyDelete