Monday, July 29, 2013

The best advice I can give a pregnant lady: Cook and freeze meals ahead

We're T-minus five weeks with baby #2, and I can honestly say that we are not terribly prepared. I bought some clothes to fill in the gaps from baby #1's wardrobe and a gliding rocker and crib--all second hand. The crib sits in pieces in the "abyss," the nursery is nowhere near done, and we still lack a double stroller and monitor. But whatevs--as long as the nursery is done by the time baby #2 is ready to start kindergarten, I have no complaints. It's not for lack of trying, but you know--there are dishes to be washed, laundry to be folded, a toddler to raise, work to be done. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

But one area where I am prepared is freezer meals. Judging by all the food in there, you'd probably guess that I like to cook, but au contraire,. I've been freezing and storing meals simply because I don't like cooking and don't want to have to do it once the baby comes. It's the not-lazy-person's way of being lazy. This was absolutely the best advice I got about preparing for a new baby when I was pregnant with #1. Not "rest when the baby sleeps" or "hire some help to get through the first few weeks." It was "prepare and freeze meals ahead of time." Of course, the woman telling me this said her mom did all of the cooking and freezing for her--lucky girl. Here are some of the recipes sitting in my freezer awaiting consumption:



Crockpot Stuffed Peppers. I mentioned this recipe in an earlier post, but I mention it again because it is literally a full meal--veggies, carb, and protein--that you could fit in your hand (if you wanted to, but I don't recommend it). Because my husband doesn't eat beans, I unvegetarianize it by omitting the black beans and adding ground turkey.

Cilantro Lime Sweet Potatoes. This recipe is based on Cilantro Lime Chicken, which I also mentioned in a previous post. I happened to make it on a day when the chicken had gone bad and I wasn't about to drive to the store to get more. Sweet potatoes are good in just about everything, and it worked in this recipe, too! I peeled and diced three sweet potatoes, threw them in with the rest of the ingredients, and now we have a lovely vegetarian version (no beans added, although a handful of black beans would complement the dish well).

Egg, Cheese, and Spinach Burritos: No recipe here. I scrambled eggs, added some shredded cheddar and spinach, rolled it all into some wraps, and voila--breakfast or lunch down the road. Add salsa to the scrambled eggs or as a dipping sauce to jazz it up. Another version I've had before involves black beans, sauteed peppers, and salsa. An entire meal in your hand (this time, I do recommend holding it). Can't argue with that.

Slow Cooker Turkey Mac: I adapted this from Fix it and Forget It Lightly

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey, browned
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
16 oz. bag of frozen corn
1/2 cup onions, chopped
2 Tbs. ketchup
1 Tbs. mustard
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups dry macaroni, cooked and drained

Combine all ingredients except macaroni into the slow cooker and stir to blend. Cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low 4 to 6 hours. Stir in cooked and drained macaroni 15 minutes before serving. It's not fancy, but everyone eats it.

Lactose-Free Lasagna: I made this up, but it works. Cheddar, parmesan, and other hard cheeses do not have lactose, so they are safe for the lactose intolerant folks in your home. But if the thought of cheddar in your lasagna is too much for you, substitute with shredded mozzarella. The first time I made this, I thought we were going to have leftovers. I was wrong.

6 lasagna noodles
2 zucchini, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 28-oz. jar of your favorite pasta sauce
1/2 cup or more parmesan cheese

Squeeze excess water out of the zucchini. Mix zucchini, carrots, and cheddar cheese. Put about 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of the lasagna pan and top with three noodles. Spread half of the zucchini/cheese mixture on top of the noodles and top with 1/3 more sauce. Add 3 more noodles, the other half of the zucchini/cheese mixture and the last 1/3 of the sauce. Sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese. Bake covered at 350 degrees for one hour.

Crock Pot Lentil Sweet Potato Soup:  My husband won't eat this, but hey, I have lunches for me and the tot. It would be better in the fall and winter, rather than a summer dish as it leaves you with that warm and full by the fire feeling.

My next freezer challenge is going to be a technique I saw on Pinterest (where else?). You put all of the uncooked ingredients (except liquids) for your slow cooker recipe into a gallon-size bag, write the instructions on the bag, and pop it in the freezer. When you need it, you take it out the night before to thaw, dump it in the slow cooker, and you don't have to think about dinner past 9 a.m. I'll keep you posted.




No comments:

Post a Comment